Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cupcake Camp NYC


Last night I attempted to go to Cupcake Camp NYC, an event with FREE CUPCAKES in the Lower East Side at Happy Ending. I stood in line for almost an hour to take part in this event, but never made it inside. It was apparently so packed in there you could barely move. At one point there was a displaced looking woman walking around carrying an empty pan and talking on her cell phone saying "My cupcakes are already gone! It's a mad house in there." Lucky for me, my faithful friends Laurel and Lauren brought me cupcakes from inside so I didn't have to try and force myself in. They volunteered and apparently had first dibs on every cupcake that entered the building!

But waiting in line was worth it. While I was there, a homeless man approached me to find out what everyone was awaiting.
HM: What's going on in there?! Led Zepplin?!
ME: Yes, it's a Led Zepplin concert.
HM: No! Really? What's goin on in there?!
ME: Free cupcakes. Much better than Led Zepplin.
HM: You're jerking my chain.You people are all standing in line for FREE cupcakes?
ME: Yes.
HM: Are they the best cupcakes in the world or something? I don't believe you!
ME: They're definitely good.
HM: What is that paper in your hand?
ME: My ticket.
HM: I don't believe you. What does that ticket say "Free cupcakes"?
I showed him the ticket, which said "Cupcake Camp NYC" and he said, "All right, you win," threw his hands up and walked away.

Later I heard a ton of people having the same conversation with confused people who were walking by. "You mean it's not someone famous?!" Those conversations definitely put it in perspective for me. I mean, a HOMELESS man thought it was ridiculous to stand in line for almost an hour for free cupcakes.Then I realized that all a homeless person needs is the internet. There is free food all the time in New York, you just gotta be able to find it!

After all of that, when Laurel and Lauren finally made it out of there with cupcakes in hand, I only had one. I just wasn't too hungry for cupcakes anymore. Although I was excited that the cupcake I chose had a Tagalog sticking out of it. It was a rich chocolate cupcake with peanut butter in the middle...and it was delicious. Totally worth the wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tried to go in but we decided to leave after 15 min. in line. Best decision we made because we got to try a new restaurant: Jin, a few blocks away (btw, really, really good sushi) and eat dessert at Chickalicious.

Kinda sad since I thought the event would be monitored to really let in the first 250 who got tickets to go in first and of course, the ones who brought cupcakes. Glad to see we made the right decision to leave the line.

In regards to the homeless man, was it the same one who was bouncing on top of the car? I thought he was doing it just to make the alarm sound off. Great entertainment while waiting in line :)